NGO Darpan: NGO Darpan is a digital platform created by the Government of India to provide information and facilitate interaction between NGOs and the government. NITI Aayog invites all Voluntary Organizations (VOs)/ NGOs to Sign Up on the Portal. VOs/NGOs play a significant role in the nation’s development by supplementing the Government’s efforts. NGO Darpan portal enables VOs/NGOs to enrol centrally and thus facilitates the creation of a repository of information about VOs/NGOs, Sector/State wise. It encourages VOs/NGOs to obtain a system-generated Unique ID as and when signed. The Unique ID is mandatory to apply for grants under various Ministries/ Departments/ Government Bodies schemes. Throughout this article, we provide detailed information about the NGO Darpan registration form procedure, a document required, benefits for Niti Ayog for non-profit organizations & more.
1 What is NGO Darpan?
2 Who can Register on NGO Darpan Portal?
3 Benefits of NGO Darpan
4 NGO DARPAN Registration Procedure
5 Document Required
6 State-wise NGO Directory
7 Sector-Wise NGO Directory
8 Frequently Asked Questions
What is NGO Darpan?
The NGO Darpan (NGO-PS) is a platform of the interface between Voluntary Organizations (VO) / Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) and critical Ministries / Departments / Government Bodies. Later it is proposed to cover all Central Ministries / Departments / Government Bodies.
The key Ministries/Departments/ Government Bodies in the first phase are M/o Culture, M/o Health & Family Welfare, M/o Social Justice & Empowerment, M/o Tribal Affairs, M/o Women & Child Development, D/o Higher Education, D/o School Education & Literacy, Council for Advancement of People’s Action and Rural Technology (CAPART), National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) and Central Social Welfare Board (CSWB).
This is an accessible facility offered by the NITI Aayog in association with National Informatics Centre to bring about a more significant partnership between the government & voluntary sector and foster better transparency, efficiency and accountability.
Who can Register on NGO Darpan Portal?
On the NGO Darpan portal, the following organizations are eligible for registration:
|Charitable Society||Charitable associations|
|Charitable trust||Section 8 companies|
Benefits of NGO Darpan/Niti Aayog Registration
NGO Darpan provides some facilities that the NGO-PS helps VOs/NGOs to:
- Get details of existing VOs / NGOs across India
- Get details of the schemes of the participating Ministries/Departments/Government Bodies (mentioned on the home page) offering grants to VOs / NGOs.
- Apply online for NGO grants.
- Track the status of your applications for grants.
NGO DARPAN Registration Procedure
In this section, we provide detailed information about the NGO Darpan registration process and step-by-step guidance; let’s look at the already Signed Up NGOs from the old portal, Already Signed up NGOs who registered at the new portal only and New NGOs for Sign Up registration procedure. The following are the procedures to register yourself to NGO DARPAN:
New NGOs for Sign-Up
- Step 1: Visit the official website of NGO Darpan (https://ngodarpan.gov.in/).
- Step 2: Click the homepage’s ‘Login/Register’ button.
- Step 3: Click on the ‘Sign Up’ option.
- Step 4: Enter all the required information, such as the name of the NGO/entity, mobile number and email and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Step 5: Enter the contact person’s name, mobile number and email. Enter the OTP and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Already Signed Up NGOs from the old portal
- Click on Forget password link.
- Provide any of three fields Pan number, Mobile or Email in the user id field.
- Input the OTP received at your mobile number, and confirm it.
- Create your new password.
- Sign in to the portal.
- All existing details like Profile, Office bearer details, Source of Funds, and NGO registration details have been ported into the new website and are available after signing in.
Already Signed up NGOs who registered at the new portal only
- Click on the Sign In Link.
- Provide any of three fields Pan number, Mobile or Email in the user id field.
- Provide your password.
- Access your registered details.
- In case you forget the password, there is an option to Signing In using OTP, where OTP is sent to the registered mobile number (alternated mobile number).
Read also: Top 10 NGOs in India
- Registration Certificates should be scanned in pdf or jpg (preferably) format and uploaded. The size of the file should be less than 2MB.
- In the case of Trust deeds, only the first and signature pages should be scanned and uploaded.
State-wise NGO Directory 
According to the NGO Darpan, there are NGO Directory Total Signed Up VOs / NGOs State-wise list of VOs/NGOs signed up on the NGO-DARPAN; here are we providing detailed information about all states.
|Andaman & nicobar islands (158)||Jharkhand (2301)|
|Andhra Pradesh (4494)||Karnataka (7082)|
|Arunachal Pradesh (441)||Kerala (3732)|
|Assam (2075)||Ladakh (157)|
|Bihar (4283)||Lakshadweep (2)|
|Chandigarh (209)||Madhya Pradesh (6127)|
|Chhattisgarh (1746)||Maharashtra (16877)|
|Dadra & Nagar haveli (29)||Manipur (2326)|
|Daman & Diu (17)||Meghalaya (294)|
|Delhi (9540)||Mizoram (251)|
|Goa (257)||Nagaland (410)|
|Gujarat (6174)||Orissa (3687)|
|Haryana (2749)||Puducherry (281)|
|Himachal Pradesh (737)||Punjab (1603)|
|Jammu & Kashmir (1513)||Rajasthan (4747)|
|Telangana (2814)||Sikkim (113)|
|Tripura (459)||Tamil Nadu (8834)|
|Uttar Pradesh (17408)||Uttarakhand (1860)|
|West Bengal (9449)||–|
Voluntary Organization (VO) / Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)
Voluntary organizations (VOs) / Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) incorporate organizations engaged in public service based on ethical, political, religious, cultural, social, economic, spiritual, philanthropic or scientific & technological considerations. VOs cover formal and informal groups, such as community-based organizations (CBOs); non-governmental development organizations (NGDOs); charitable organizations; support organizations; networks or federations of such organizations; and professional membership associations.
VOs / NGOs should broadly have the following features:
- They are private, i.e., separate from the Government
- They do not return profits generated to their owners or directors
- They are self-governing, i.e., not controlled by the Government
- They are registered organizations or informal groups with defined aims and objectives
- In India, a Voluntary Organization / Non-Governmental Organization can be registered as Trusts, Societies, or a private limited nonprofit company under section-25 Company of the Indian Companies Act, 1956.
Read also: What is NGOization
Sector-Wise NGO Directory
Sector-Wise list of VOs/NGOs signed up on the NGO-DARPAN:
|Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries (24204)||Micro Finance (SHGs) (17569)|
|Aged/Elderly (24999)||Minority Issues (17404)|
|Agriculture (33907)||Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (17839)|
|Art & Culture (36532)||New & Renewable Energy (11572)|
|Biotechnology (12475)||Nutrition (17311)|
|Children (51654)||Panchayati Raj (15499)|
|Civic Issues (19672)||Prisoner’s Issues (5292)|
|Differently Abled (22849)||Right To Information & Advocacy (11894)|
|Disaster Management (21641)||Rural Development & Poverty Alleviation (35779)|
|Dalit Upliftment (19093)||Scientific & Industrial Research (8328)|
|Drinking-Water (28054)||Skill Development (9043)|
|Education & Literacy (81973)||Science & Technology (14968)|
|Environment & Forests (37878)||Sports (18916)|
|Food Processing (19941)||Tribal Affairs (16558)|
|Health & Family Welfare (54997)||Tourism (9675)|
|HIV/AIDS (23921)||Urban Development & Poverty Alleviation (18355)|
|Housing (11371)||Vocational Training (37976)|
|Human Rights (25214)||Water Resources (15596)|
|Information & Communication Technology (21284)||Women’s Development & Empowerment (48919)|
|Legal Awareness & Aid (21213)||Youth Affairs (25247)|
|Labour & Employment (24667)||Any Other (22606)|
|Land Resources (10226)||–|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who can register (Sign UP) for the NGO Darpan?
Any VO / NGO registered as a trust/ society/ a private limited non-profit company, under section-25 Company of the Indian Companies Act, 1956, can Sign Up on the NGO Darpan.
Is individual registration allowed?
As of now, no Individual (person) Registration is allowed.
Does the NGO-PS or the NITI Aayog provide grants to VOs/NGOs?
The NGO-PS does not sanction/provide grants to VOs/NGOs.
Several ministries/departments/government bodies give and sanction grants to VOs/NGOs under various schemes listed in the NGO-PS. A list of Nodal Officers for multiple schemes has been displayed on the website. Any query regarding schemes can be clarified with the concerned Nodal Officer.
Is DARPAN registration compulsory?
It is mandatory to register with NGO Darpan to get approval for government grants & Funding under the government scheme.
|Section 8 Company Registration||Charitable Trust Registration Process|
|FCRA Registration||12A and 80G Registration for NGO|
|How to Start an NGO||Society Registration Process|